Sunday, June 04, 2006

Not this year ... but next.

If you've been to my website that accompanies this blog, you may have noticed a never-before-mentioned link in the left sidebar: MBTS 5-Miler Training Schedule. It has been just sitting there quietly, not being too conspicuous. If you noticed it, you might have wondered why it was there, when I never, ever mention it. Well, there's a reason.

First, a little background ...

For many years, I was a walking tour guide for my city's tourism department, and because of my experience and overall success doing it, I was usually the one chosen to show various members of the media around our small, historic city. It was something I absolutely loved every minute of, and I got to meet some really great people that way.

In August of 2001, I was asked by the city to conduct a tour for writer John Hanc, who was not only covering the Marathon By The Sea for Runners World magazine, but running in it, as well. I have always had the utmost respect for people who can push themselves to exceed their limits, and this was the first time I had actually spent some time talking to someone who runs marathons.

So I asked him some questions. As it turned out, he had co-written a book with Florence Griffith-Joyner called, appropriately enough, Running for Dummies, so was well-equipped to answer my questions on the most easy-to-understand level. What I remember most about him, besides his love for New York City and his great sense of humour, was that he looked past the fact that I was clearly a 275-plus-pound woman (in a period costume, no less!), and answered each and every question I had as if I were about to bid him farewell and head straight to training.

That morning, and the experience of talking with him about running, has never really left me. When I was a kid, I used to love to run, and the desire to try to get that back has always been in the back of my mind. So when I first set up this website, and I was making it clear to myself that I would be successful this time, I put the 5-Miler training schedule in the sidebar to remind me of where I wanted to go.

A few months ago, I had decided that I would do the 5-Miler this year. I'd lost enough weight that I thought my knees could handle it, even if I just walked it. (After all, how many two-hour walking tours had I done over the years?) But part of me really, really wanted to try to run it as much as possible, just to see if I could. All of this was, of course, before Mr. Gallbladder got cranky, and now I'm sitting here with four (very small, mind you) holes that remind me I shouldn't be out there bouncing my innards up and down. June 18 (the beginning of the training schedule) is probably too soon to try.

The other day, I was talking to Dr. Munchkin about my desire to start running, and I don't think she had any idea that any of this was in the back of my mind. When I mention it to Hubby, I'm sure I'll get a look of total disbelief. And, to be honest, it only became a real possibility to me a few months ago. But it's something I've been thinking about -- more and more as the weight comes off.

So, although the Marathon By the Sea is not in the cards for me this year, it's on my to-do list for next year. And I think, after I finish, I'll send John Hanc a thank-you note and include a copy of the race results.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen!

Never underestimate your ability to do anything that you put your mind too. I think having dreams and not making them come true is a total waste of this life that we live. So, don't look for permission from anyone, and make your plan to take up running as soon as it is safe for you to do so. Get your doctor's OK of course, then go girl go.

I highly recommend a great book called "The Complete Book of Running for Women". Here is the URL from Chapters. I have read it twice, and still refer to it often. It has everything that you need to know.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/item/books-978067101703/0671017039/The+Complete+Book+Of+Running+For+Women?ref=Search+Books%3a+'running+for+women'

Take care, glad to hear all is healing well.

K